Sunday, August 30, 2009

Handprint Art: My Version


I have been wanting to do something with my kids handprints for a long time, but could never decided on what to do. I finally got some inspiration from these and came up with my own version of handprint art. They were simple to make and I love how they look in our playroom now.

Supplies Needed:
12x12 canvas
Mod podge
Paint Brushes
choice of paint colors ( I used Ivory and Burnt Umber)
child's hand
Photo Shop or some kind of program like that to make your own monogram

1. Paint the whole canvas with your choice of canvas and let dry.
2. Tape off edge for border and paint desired color.
3. With a computer program like Photo Shop create your own monogram. I simply scanned the paper I liked and used that so it would match. Then created a circle and added my child's name.
4. Trace child's hand onto scrapbook paper of choice.
5. Mod Podge the backs of the monogram and handprint and put in place on canvas being sure to smooth out any bubbles.
6. Mod Podge the whole canvas front. Allow to dry. Hang!

Here's how mine turned out... You will notice that the fourth one doesn't have a handprint yet because the other's are when they started kindergarten. We have to wait a couple of years until we can complete the last one. I put the paper I want to use on the underside of the canvas so I when it time to do it it's there and matches the others.

4 comments:

michelle said...

Those look great! I love the primary colors - they are perfect for a family play room. Look at you with your tutorials...I may need to submit your blog to UCreate :)

somedaycrafts said...

super cute!

Randi said...

I love those! What a great idea for a playroom.

Trisha said...

What a wonderful, idea! Our little neighbor start kindergarten in the fall-this would be perfect for her! Trenton will follow in 3 years-or she could do two-one for this year with them at the ages they are now and then again at the ages they both are when Trenton starts kindergarten. You find such great craft/art/decorating ideas! Where do you find the time?

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by and sharing what you think. Have a great day!