This is an easy meal our family enjoys. So easy that my kids often make it. (Just be careful chopping jalepeno's they can burn your eyes if you touch them after cutting, we learned that the hard way.)
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 2 1/2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan or pie pan. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add beans and water to skillet, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in corn and green onions, and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of springform pan; layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer. Bake until hot and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve into slices with sour cream, salsa, and olives if desired.